Tuesday 7 October 2014

The Greatest Superpower: Consistency


My sons are all gamers. That's my influence - Final Fantasy VII has a lot to answer for. From video games, they've expanded into tabletop RPGs, board games and LARP. If you know what the initials mean, great - you're already part of our Tribe. If you don't, let me know in the comments and I'll tell you. You'll need to tell me when to stop!

There's a concept in a lot of video RPG games, called grinding. It refers to the laborious activity required to level up your character in one ability or another. Game companies understand that they need to encourage players paying attention to the minutiae of the game, so they reward the players with titles, in-game spending points, and so on.

 Today, one of my boys got awarded a new title in a game - Up and Comer. The next level is Go-Getter. Both titles are described as showing that the owner of the title is not afraid to do menial tasks to get on in life.

I can't think of a better description for people who are serious about building their business.

Consistency has got to be one of the better Superpowers to have. Although I think it's likely to be sometime before we hear, "Is it a Bird? Is it a Plane? No, it's MenialTasksMan!"

No comments:

Post a Comment